Oklahoma Resources for Voters with Disabilities

What are my rights as a voter with a disability in Oklahoma?

In Oklahoma, you have the right to the following as protected by federal law. Election staff must respect these rights:

  • Accessible voter registration
  • Accessible polling places
  • Policies and procedures that do not discriminate against you based on your disability
  • Accessible, available, and operational voting systems, features
  • Your service animal to accompany you inside the polling place
  • The right to vote privately and independently or with assistance, if needed
  • Assistance from a person of choice, who can be a friend, family member, or poll worker (but not your boss, union agent, or a candidate unless this person is your family member)
  • Election Staff trained to understand the rights above.

In Oklahoma, you also have the right to:  

  • Independently mark and cast your ballot without interference, coercion, or intimidation. 
  • Vote in privacy and cast a secret ballot.
  • Receive assistance when voting.
  • Use an audio-assisted ballot.
  • Vote by absentee ballot if you have a disability that prevents you from voting in person on Election Day.
  • File a complaint about voting accessibility or other violation.
  • To request a provisional ballot
    • if you do not have a valid ID
    • if your name is not in the precinct registry
    • if you believe your voting information is incorrect and affects your ability
    • to receive certain ballots (such as to vote in a party’s primary election)
    • To receive a provisional ballot, you will need to sign a Provisional Ballot Affidavit and the Provisional Ballot Roster.
Who can register to vote?

To register in Oklahoma, you must be: 

  • A citizen of the United States of America
  • At least 17 and will be turning 18 on or before Election Day 
  • A resident of the city or county for at least 30 days
  • If you are a student, unhoused, a survivor of intimate partner violence with related concerns, or living with a mental or physical impairment, you may still register and vote
  • Not currently serving a felony conviction, including probation or parole

In Oklahoma, you may not register or vote if:

What are my rights when registering to vote?

Federal law requires assistance in registering to vote from offices that provide public assistance or state-funded programs serving people with disabilities. Responsibilities include:

  • Providing voter registration forms
  • Assisting voters in completing the forms
  • Transmitting completed forms to the appropriate election official
  • All aspects of voter registration must be accessible
What are the different ways to vote in Oklahoma?
  • In person on Election Day
  • Absentee
  • You can vote absentee by mail or in-person at these locations. (Click on the “Find Early Voting Location” to find out where to vote early for the upcoming election.)
  • While abroad as a citizen or military through an absentee ballot request
  • You can vote outside your polling place (curbside voting) if your polling place is not accessible.
What are the ways to request an Absentee Ballot in Oklahoma?
  • Any registered voter may request an absentee ballot.  You can return your voted ballot by mail or in person. If you state that you have a disability on your application, you may be entitled to an easier process for voting.
How is the Oklahoma mail-in or absentee ballot process made accessible for voters with print disabilities?
  • You can have assistance with your Voter Registration form.
  • If you are physically incapacitated and can not be left alone, or you are a caregiver for someone who is physically incapacitated, then you can request a special type of absentee ballot.
    • If you are eligible for this type of absentee ballot and can not sign your name, you can have someone help you fill out an Affidavit Envelope.
      • You will need two witnesses to validate your Affidavit Envelope. The two witnesses will need to sign and print their name and write their address in the space provided.
    • With this type of ballot, you can also receive help with marking your ballot. Your helper will need to print and sign their name and write their address in the space provided.
    • This type of ballot must be returned by mail; it can not be returned in-person.
What accommodations are available for voters with disabilities at polling locations in Oklahoma?

Federal law requires polling places to meet minimum compliance standards for individuals with special needs. Oklahoma is working to meet those requirements. If your polling place is difficult to navigate, poll workers can come outside to meet you and help you vote.

In an instance where you are unable to enter a polling location, you may be assisted by two Precinct Officials outside the polling place. Please contact your local County Election Board for more information.

An accessible ballot marking device is available at all polling places. This can be used to make choices audibly or by a touchscreen display. It allows for alternatives, such as:

  • Audio 
  • Tactile keys
  • Customizable displays
  • Sip and puff
What are the rules of assistance for disabled voters in Oklahoma?
  • You may request assistance from a poll worker or receive assistance from a person of your choice with the following exceptions:  
    • your employer, an agent of your employer
    • an officer or agent of your union
    • a candidate on the ballot
  • A poll worker cannot force you to accept assistance.
How can I prepare to use accessible voting equipment in Oklahoma prior to Election Day?
Who do I contact if I have problems when voting in Oklahoma?

You can contact Oklahoma Disability Law Center at (800) 880-7755 with your questions about voting.

To file a formal complaint about voting accessibility, mail a written complaint to:

Oklahoma State Election Board
PO Box 53156 Oklahoma City,
OK 73152-3156.

You can also request a complaint form by contacting them.

  • You must get the form notarized, and the complaint must be signed and sworn.
  • You must include your name, address, and any information relevant to your complaint and how you would like to see the situation handled. 
  • You must also include a request for a hearing on the record if you would like one.

You can also fill out a Violation of Civil Rights Complaint Form and submit it to the US Department of Justice by one of the following methods:

  • Online, through the form’s submission process - this is the fastest method.
  • By fax at (202) 616-9881. You MUST include “ATTN: Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Complaints" at the top of your fax submission for it to be processed correctly.
  • By mailing your form to: 

                 U.S. Department of Justice
                 Office of the Inspector General Investigations Division
                 ATTN: Civil Rights & Civil Liberties Complaints
                 950 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
                 Washington, DC 20530

For additional assistance, The National Network of ADA Centers can provide local contact information for other organizations you may wish to contact, including your Regional ADA Center or ADA Knowledge Translation Center, or Federal Agencies and Resources.

Additional Resources