Kansas Resources for Voters with Disabilities

What are my rights as a voter with a disability in Kansas?

In Kansas, you have the right to the following as protected by federal law. Election staff must respect these rights:

  • Accessible voter registration
  • Accessible polling places
  • Policies and procedures that do not discriminate against you based on your disability
  • Accessible, available and operational voting systems and features
  • Your service animal to accompany you inside the polling place
  • The right to vote privately and independently or with assistance, if needed
  • Assistance from a person of choice, who can be a friend, family member, or poll worker (but not your boss, union agent, or a candidate unless this person is your family member)
  • Election Staff trained to understand the rights above.
Who can register to vote?

To register in Kansas, you must be: 

  • A citizen of the United States of America
  • At least 17 and will be turning 18 on or before Election Day 
  • Resident of Kansas

If you are a student, unhoused, a survivor of intimate partner violence with related concerns, or living with a mental or physical impairment, you may still register and vote

In Kansas, you may not register or vote if:

  • Have had your right to vote specifically removed by a court order, unless your right has been restored
  • You are currently incarcerated for a felony conviction or on probation or parole. You are eligible to vote if you have fully completed your sentence, including probation or parole.
  • You claim the right to vote elsewhere

Register to vote now if you are eligible!

What are my rights when registering to vote?

Federal law requires assistance in registering to vote from offices that provide public assistance or state-funded programs serving people with disabilities. Responsibilities in these offices include:

  • Providing voter registration forms
  • Assisting voters in completing the forms
  • Transmitting completed forms to the appropriate election official
  • All aspects of voter registration must be accessible
What are the different ways to vote in Kansas?
  • In person
    • On Election Day
    • Early, at your county election office or satellite voting location, up to 20 days before election day. All counties offer in-person early voting at least one week prior to election day.
  • Advance Voting (Absentee) by mail after filling out an application for advance voting
  • While abroad as a citizen or military through an absentee ballot request
  • Provisional ballot at a polling place
What are the ways to request an Advanced (Absentee) Ballot in Kansas?
  • Kansas requires voters to fill out an advance ballot request form prior to receiving their vote-by-mail ballot. 
    • U.S. Vote Foundation has an online tool to help with registering to vote or requesting a mail-in ballot. 
    • The form is also available in Spanish
  • If you wish to be on the permanent vote-by-mail list due to permanent disability, you can fill out an Application for Permanent Advance Voting Status.
How is the Kansas mail-in or advanced (absentee) ballot process made accessible for voters with print disabilities?

If you need an alternative ballot, please contact your local election official.

Kansas also provides sample ballots to view ahead of elections.

What accommodations are available for voters with disabilities at polling locations in Kansas?

Federal law requires polling places to meet minimum compliance standards for individuals with special needs.  If you want to check that your polling location meets these standards or find an alternative polling location, contact your local election official.

If you are unable to stand in line, you can:

  • Request to be moved to the front of the line or refuse to be moved to the front of the line
  • Request that a chair be provided or refuse to accept a chair
  • Request to have your place in line held and notified when it is your turn

An accessible ballot marking device is available at all polling places. This can be used to make choices audibly or by a touchscreen display. It allows for alternatives, such as:

  • Audio 
  • Tactile keys
  • Customizable displays
What are the rules of assistance for disabled voters in Kansas?
  • You may request assistance from a poll worker or receive assistance from a person of your choice with the following exceptions:  
    • your employer, an agent of your employer
    • an officer or agent of your union
    • a candidate on the ballot
  • A poll worker cannot force you to accept assistance.
How can I prepare to use accessible voting equipment in Kansas prior to Election Day?

You have the right to access a sample ballot and can contact your local election official for more information on the accessible voting machine available to you.

Who do I contact if I have problems when voting in Kansas?

You can fill-out and submit a Complaint Form to the Kansas Secretary of State. It should be mailed to:
                Office of Secretary of State
                Memorial Hall
                120 SW 10th Avenue
                Topeka, KS 66612-1594

You can also fill out a Violation of Civil Rights Complaint Form and submit it to the US Department of Justice by one of the following methods:

  • Online, through the form’s submission process - this is the fastest method.
  • By fax at (202) 616-9881. You MUST include “ATTN: Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Complaints" at the top of your fax submission for it to be processed correctly.
  • By mailing your form to: 

                 U.S. Department of Justice
                 Office of the Inspector General Investigations Division
                 ATTN: Civil Rights & Civil Liberties Complaints
                 950 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
                 Washington, DC 20530

For assistance with advocacy, protection of your voting rights, and other services, you may contact the office of Disability Rights Center of Kansas.

For additional assistance, The National Network of ADA Centers can provide local contact information for other organizations you may wish to contact, including your Regional ADA Center or ADA Knowledge Translation Center, or Federal Agencies and Resources.