Delaware Voting Rights Restoration

Misdemeanor convictions in Delaware

Can prisoners vote in jail? Generally, yes.

You do not lose your right to vote if you are convicted of a misdemeanor in Delaware. If you are incarcerated for a misdemeanor you should check voter registration status, register to vote if necessary, and request an absentee ballot from office administrators at your complex.

You can vote while awaiting trial for any charge, even if incarcerated, as long as you have not lost your right to vote due to a prior conviction.

Felony conviction not of moral turpitude in Delaware

Can felons vote in Delaware?

If you are convicted of a felony not of moral turpitude, you lose your right to vote until your sentence is fully served. You can't vote while incarcerated, while on probation, or while on parole. Your right to vote is automatically restored once you complete your full sentence including parole, probation, and community supervision.

Felony conviction of moral turpitude in Delaware

You permanently lose your right to vote if you are convicted of a felony of moral turpitude in Delaware. Your right to vote can only be restored by a formal pardon from the Governor.

Common felonies of moral turpitude include: murder, manslaughter, bribery or public corruption, and sex offenses.

This is not a complete list of felonies of moral turpitude. If you are unsure if your conviction qualifies as a felony of moral turpitude, call or have a friend or family member call 1-866-OUR-VOTE for assistance.

Next steps for restoring voting rights in Delaware

For felonies not involving moral turpitude, if your sentence is completed, including parole, probation, and community supervision, you may register to vote and cast a ballot.

For felonies of moral turpitude, you must apply for a formal pardon from the Governor to have your voting rights restored, only after your full sentence is completed, including parole or probation.

In all states, it's a felony to vote if your voting rights are currently revoked. If you are uncertain about your status from the information provided on this page, call 1-866-OUR-VOTE for more information.



For help with:

  • Registering to vote
  • Requesting an absentee ballot
  • Requesting a mail-in ballot


For help with finding your Election Official.