Arizona Voting Rights Restoration

Misdemeanor convictions in Arizona

You do not lose your right to vote if you are convicted of a misdemeanor in Arizona. If you are incarcerated for a misdemeanor you should check voter registration status, register to vote if necessary, and request an absentee ballot from office administrators at your complex.

You can vote while awaiting trial for any charge, even if incarcerated, as long as you have not lost your right to vote due to a prior conviction.

Felony conviction in Arizona

You lose the right to vote if you are convicted of a felony, however, it can be restored. If you are convicted of only one felony, your voting rights are automatically restored upon completion of all supervised release.

However, if you are convicted of two or more felonies, You must wait two years from your date of absolute discharge to apply for your rights to be restored. You must submit your Certificate of Absolute Discharge with your application. Your rights restoration application must be submitted to the court where you were sentenced (or, if your conviction was in federal court, to the presiding judge of the Superior Court in the county where you now reside).

If you have multiple felony convictions and only served probation, you do not have to wait two years to apply for your voting rights to be restored. Your right to vote may be restored by the court that discharged you from probation.

Next steps for restoring voting rights in Arizona

If you have been convicted of two or more felonies, apply for restoration to the superior court in the county in which you were convicted, then register to vote if your rights are restored. If you are uncertain about the next step, call 1-866-OUR-VOTE for more information.

In all states, it's a felony to vote if your voting rights are currently revoked. If you are uncertain about your status from the information provided on this page, call 1-866-OUR-VOTE for more information.



For help with:

  • Registering to vote
  • Requesting an absentee ballot
  • Requesting a mail-in ballot


For help with finding your Election Official.